Monday, August 06, 2012

Tesla Model S: Dreamy in many dimensions

Thanks to a friend, I got a chance to ride in the third Telsa Model S to roll off the production line last month.  It happened to be in the Signature Red, which is only available to the first 1,000 cars sold.  It was a stunning beauty, but more than that, it was a heart-stopping machine that raises the bar for sedans worldwide.


Telsa Model S in Signature Red, as seen in downtown Palo Alto.

I'm not exaggerating.  The acceleration alone is worth the price of admission, but the simple utility of this amazing car staggers the mind.  You can fit five adults and two kids comfortably, in a sedan.  No joke.  In addition to a full-sized trunk, there is a bonus trunk in the front of the car (the "frunk").  The 17" touchscreen dashboard does for a car what the the iPhone did for phones.  No matter how fast you accelerate, and you can seemingly accelerate faster than any production car on the planet, the cabin remains blissfully quiet.  And you never need to go to the gas station again, ever.

I don't mind saying that I'm on the list to get one of these, and am anxiously awaiting my delivery date later this year.  It could be the car that changes the automobile business forever.  And I forgot to mention that it is built right here in the Bay Area.  Wow.

1 comment:

PhilInBrentwood said...

Great blog post. Sounds like an amazing car. I hope you get yours soon, so I can check it out (and we can take it for a spin).